The Wootton Courtenay Garden Club was established to provide opportunities for villagers to enjoy talks and discussions on gardening topics, and to arrange visits to interesting local gardens. It also holds its annual Flower Show during August.
It warmly welcomes everyone who has a garden in the village, whether they are experienced enthusiasts or those who want to learn a little more. It particularly welcomes new members and offers friendly and enthusiastic support to beginners and experts alike.
The club is now affiliated to the Royal Horticultural Society.
Annual subscription is £10 per person. Visitors are welcome to attend meetings at £3 per meeting. Membership forms are circulated in January but can be obtained, with further details, any time from the following:
- Nigel Humphries 01643 841155
- Maggie Robertson 01643 841833
- Peter Clapham
- Lucy McQuillan
- Stan Marriott
We had a really good turn out of people to listen to Katherine Crouch give our first talk of the year, despite the cold night and smattering of snow warning us of what was yet to arrive.
For those of you who were not able to attend the talk, here is a list of the talks and events arranged for 2018. Nigel still has some paper programmes if you would like a copy, and don’t forget to renew your membership.
- Tuesday 24th April – Talk by local farmer and bee keeper, Julian Wilford, on the challenges of Bee Farming on Exmoor
- Tuesday 26th June – Talk by Margaret Hall, a very well respected flower arranger
- Monday 2nd July – A visit to Elworthy Cottage Gardens www.elworthy-cottage.co.uk
- Tuesday 2nd August – Wootton Courtenay Flower & Vegetable Show
- Wednesday 22nd Augut – Visit to RHS Rosemoor, Torrington www.rhs.org.uk
- Tuesday 25th September – a return visit by journalist Sally Nex, with a talk entitled A Rogues Gallery For Gardeners (practical advice on organic ways to tackle pests and diseases) www.sallynex.com
- Tuesday 27th November – Talk by Mark Walker on The Woodcutters Story. See his website wwwwoodcuttersgarden.com which tells you about his book and his beautiful creations using wood.
- Tuesday 11th December – AGM and Social
All talks are at 7:30pm, except the AGM which is 7:00pm
Now back to the snow shovelling and endless buckets of water for animals as all my taps are frozen. Hey ho, spring is here, though tell that to my flattened hellebores.